The Astrology Page Blog: Aspiring to be an Astrologer

Saturday, January 13, 2007

Aspiring to be an Astrologer

I’ve received several email questions lately and I'd like to start answering the questions that have been piling up. I’ll try to get to at least one a week, but I won’t make any promises to stick to that schedule. I’ve learned it’s always done when the time is right.

Question from an Aspiring Astrologer

Hello Susan, I'm an Aries and I could use some help. I have been reading and studying astrology for the past 4 years. There are a lot of different chapters in astrology and I read everything I can get my hands on, and I'm looking for the next level of help, but its hard to do alone. Unfortunately, there isn't a lot of offered work when it comes to this career. I know I want to work with this topic and it’s hard to find people that even know a little bit about it. I was wondering if you have any advice or tips to help me along the way, especially when someone like yourself has experience with it. I also read up on tarot cards, and palm reading and I just started reading about the Chakras. I love this field and really would like to pursue this in any way I can....

Thanks for your time

Susan’s Answer

Dear Aries,

Aries is a great sign that gives you the energy to do things. You’ll always be looking for something new in astrology, and it’s a great adventure for an Aries. I’m sure there are other points in your chart that give you the ability to stick with it since you’ve been studying for 4 years and are still interested.

I’m not sure what level you’ve reached, so this is rather general advice

The question of aspiring to astrology is near and dear to my heart. I want more people to be serious about astrology, and I agree, there are few guidelines for the serious astrologer. There are organizations such as NCGR and AFA, offering lectures, classes and guidance, and some accreditations, but not diplomas accredited by the governing bodies of education at the local or federal level.

If you want a diploma, the only school that I know of in the US that currentlyoffers a bachelor or masters degree in Astrology is Kepler College in Washington State, which is accredited by the state of Washington. After four years, you receive a formal diploma. The other nice thing about Kepler is that you do much of your studying at home. I believe you are required to go to Kepler for a week at a time each semester. Go to the Kepler website for more information. http://www.kepler.edu/

If you do not plan to work professionally in areas that look for a diploma, there are online schools. The Online School of Astrology has reputable astrologers. http://www.astrocollege.com/ Currently they are associated with Kepler College and there is a transfer allowed of 30 credits.

There are usually local schools or groups, if you want to find kindred spirits. Many coffee klatch or salon type groups exist that do give support and information. I offer several classes through the year at Heaven in Newburyport geared to all levels, and soon I will offer CD’s of my classes, and eventually I will be offering a beginning course through CD.

Chart interpretation

If you want to be a professional astrologer, it requires commitment. One of my early teachers told me that after I read 1,000 charts I might be able to consider myself an astrologer. Start reading charts for anyone and everyone. Doing readings is one of the most valuable things you can do. Consultations will get you into the rhythm of reading charts and working with all types of people. Even if you tell them you are new, and use your reference books during a consult, they will lap it up. People want to know as much as possible about their life, and are grateful for any help you can give them. Do the consults free or for a donation and you’ll be surprised where it will lead you. If you charge, it may be too much responsibility in the beginning. If you’re good, and love what you do, eventually people will offer to pay you.

If you aren’t ready to do personal consults with friends and acquaintances, practice by doing the charts of famous people.

Organization is the key, especially in the beginning. Have a plan for reading charts and stick to it, adding on as time goes on. Get the keywords down in your mind and have your plan for reading a chart. You may start with the Sun, Moon, ascendant, and then the planets, or you may read house by house. Tracy Marks has a wonderful guide for chart interpretation. It’s out of pint, but there are a few used copies at Amazon, Barnes and Noble.

If you need help choosing books, go to http://www.astroamerica.com/ or contact Dave. He knows his stuff. He can suggest a good chart interpretation guidebook.

Calculations

I suggest you learn the math. I know computers do the math, but it is a good idea to know how the computations are done. Sometimes I miss the psychic connection I used to get by calculating the chart myself. To do this you need an Ephemeris and a Table of Houses. I use the Rosicrucian Ephemeris for my daily readings, and The American Ephemeris by Neil F. Michelsen for dates in the 20th Century. I also have the Rosicrucian 100-year ephemeris. You will also need a book that gives you the longitude of cites worldwide. However, this is optional, most longitudes are found online these days.

The books I have with chart calculation instruction are out of print. Dave at The Astrology Center of America should know what’s currently available. www.astroamerica.com

The price of these books adds up, I suggest that my students look for used books to start out.

Studies

Besides the natal planets, you need to learn how to read an ephemeris, and study transits, progressions, directions, solar returns, and eclipses, and that’s just the start. Next there are asteroids, galactic points, etc.

Astrology is a life-time study. Astrology is not a fluff science. Most qualified astrolgers are well-educated. As one astrologer said, "I have studied more than most doctors. I probably have the equivalent of three PhD's."

Here are a few studies that I suggest besides astrology

Mythology
Astronomy
History
Psychology – as many different types as possible. Read books, especially by Jung. You’ll be surprised to find how many psychologists follow astrological patterns. Also, it is important to understand enough to know when to guide a client to a professional for help.
Geometry
Algebra
Numerology
Symbols – dream books have great ideas.
Other intuitive and esoteric studies, tarot, kabala
Develop your intuition
Writing classes
Debate class if you want to be on air with debunkers
Bodywork or anatomy if you wish to study medical astrology
Languages especially Latin and Sanskrit
Research and statistics
Ancient classics especially the Greeks, Ptolemy, Hippocrates, Phythagoras
Arabic history and writers, they gave us our math and many astrology calculations
Epyptian history and symbolism
Maya symbolism and astrology
Voice and Acting if you wish to do the lecture circuit (I'm half joking)


Eastern Astrology

Chinese signs will add another depth to your understanding. Get one of the simple books or go online and do a search.

I wouldn’t advise learning Vedic astrology until you are sure of your techniques.

Local Ordinances
Some cities consider astrology fortune telling and it’s not allowed. Check your local rules and regulations.

Please drop me a line if I haven’t addressed your concerns.

More to come……

What to do after you’ve mastered the natal chart, such as transits, progressions, solar charts, synastry, horary, electional, astrocartography.

Astrology careers

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Wishing You Magic and Miracles 

All contents copyright © 2006 All rights reserved
The Astrology Page Blog


Digg!

Locations of visitors to this page
Astrology in Beverly, Newburyport, Boston, Massachusetts, New England, and around the world